Academic Writing Class
The course is designed as a structured study of how to write Academically and will look at several aspects in detail. The Course provides a quick review of the paragraph writing and then moves on to the specific structures of process essays, cause /effect essays, comparison/contrast essays, and argumentative essays. We will also look at the process of academic writing including punctuation rules, research, and documentation of research. Each 3-hour session will include in-class writing exercises, writing under pressure tasks and input and feedback sessions. Practice exercises will be set as optional homework.
What Will You Learn
Below is a brief outline of each 3-hour session:
1. Paragraph structure including topic, supporting, and concluding sentences. Unity and Cohesion and strategies.
2. Facts vs Opinions, plagiarism, quotations, and statistics, paraphrasing, and A1:H8
3. Introductory Paragraphs, Body, Thesis Statements, Concluding paragraphs.
4. The Writing Process, pre-writing and outlining. Editing and polishing
5. Research and Documentation of Sources, Citation
6. Process Essays
7. Cause and Effect Essays
8. Comparison/ Contrast Essays
9. Argumentative Essays
10. Sentence Structures and Using Parallel structures
11. Noun Clauses / Adjective Clauses
12. Test and individual feedback
There will be a total of 4 writing assignments throughout the Course. Participants will earn a Certificate of Completion on completing all 4 assessments and attendance of at least 80 percent of classes.
Outcome: Student can write well with proper language structure, suitable to the audience, and acceptable at their purposes